Right from the childhood days, an individual is taught at home or at school, to follow a strict balanced diet. A balanced diet is one which contains all the required nutrients, vitamins, and other minerals in the right proportions with adequate amount of water. However, sometimes a medical condition may arise which may require the individual to bring about a change in his or her eating habits.
Epilepsy is one such condition. It is a neurological condition in which the patient is prone to getting recurrent unprovoked seizures. A temporary disruption of brain function occurs when the cortical neurons fire excessively, hyper synchronously or both. In such situations, the doctors and dietitians advise the patient to follow a Keto diet plan and refer to the best keto diet books.
Significant features of a keto diet plan:
A keto diet, also known as a ketogenic diet , has the following features or characteristics:
- It contains a large amount of fat.
- The amount of carbohydrate contained is very less.
- Adequate amount of proteins are available.
- Ketone count in the body is increased, which serves as a substitute to glucose. Hence, it proves beneficial for diabetes patients as well.
The carbohydrates present in food are usually converted into glucose within the body, which serves as the main source of energy for the body or as the body’s powerhouse. This glucose is also responsible for normal brain functioning. In case a keto diet plan is followed, the carbohydrate intake of the body will be decreased greatly. As such, the liver digests the fat and converts it into fatty acids and ketone bodies, leaving the carbohydrate bodies undisturbed. These ketone components or ketone bodies, act in a manner similar to glucose and energise the body. Epileptical seizures are greatly reduced with an increase in the ketone content in the body. Such a condition or state is known as ketosis, in medicine.
Benefits of a keto diet:
A ketogenic diet makes the body a fat burner, other than a sugar burner. It beneficial in many ways:
- Helps an individual lose decent amount of weight.
- Helps deal with epilepsy effectively.
- Increases the energy possessed by the body.
- Controls blood sugar level and cholesterol in the body.
- Increases mental focus.
- The skin of the individual is also enhanced as the keto diet helps do away with acne.
Food to avoid while following a keto diet:
- Sugar and sweet dishes must be strictly avoided.
- Potatoes, yams and other yams should not be consumed
- Grain intake should be reduced.
- Fruits should not be consumed.
Food to eat while on a keto diet:
- Meat like fish and chicken
- Green leafy vegetables
- Dairy items high in fat content
- Nuts and seeds
- Coconut oil and other saturated fat containing foods.
The best keto diet books are available in several book stores all over the world. However, it is always advisable to consult an experienced dietitian before buying and following such books. One must always remember the golden rule, that a good mind and good sense is the best blessing an individual can get from the almighty. Check our top 7 ketogenic diet books of 2018 at Easyketogenic.com